Thursday, January 2, 2014

Jen Chapin (@jenchapinmusic)'s gig calendar -- Manhattan Brooklyn Piermont + MA & CT


 No I'm not pregnant! But I was in July 2005, when this picture was taken outside the old Cutting Room location.January 2, 2014

Happy New Year Y’all!

I’ve had a bit of an obsession over recent weeks with the amazing CD “James Brown’s Funky Christmas.” Much of the album serves as James Brown’s expression of gratitude for his blessings, and his fervent wish for others to escape the poverty that he knew as a child. He’s especially thankful for his success and his audience: “You came to see my show — that’s a debt that I’ll always owe.” That the most celebrated and imitated showman and innovator in pop music saw himself in debt to his audience, though he arguably gave more in performance than anyone, is something for me to think about. (Of course my dad was famously generous in his concerts and otherwise, and also spoke of his good fortune in having such an excellent line of work!)

So I am grateful to continue to be able to make music in 2014. Thank you for making it possible! I sometimes regret that my shows don’t offer the sweat or spectacle, raw force or storytelling of a James Brown or a Harry Chapin show, but I do strive for truth and love in the music, and continue to be awed by the magic-making of my musical collaborators who bring so much artistry to the stage.

This year will be the first that I remember performing over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend, and I am thinking of these shows as a special opportunity to celebrate MLK’s truth-telling and love-spreading, along with a little extra dose of show(wo)manship as well. (MLK was also no slacker in this department…)

Friday, January 17th will see my full band returning to The Cutting Room in NYC, and tickets are on sale now here. Some of my favorite people in the world will be on stage with me: Dan Rieser on drums, Stephan Crump on bass, Jamie Fox on guitar, Chris Brown on piano, and Erin Hill on harp and vocals. The room is majestic and the menu offers many temptations. For those of you eager to come but feeling the pocketbook pinch, reply to me now about a spot or two on the guest list, as I have 6 tickets to give away to the first folks I hear from.

The Trio with Stephan and Jamie will continue on up to Hingham MA on Saturday 1/18, and Stafford Springs CT on Sunday 1/19, and will be in Piermont NY on Sunday 1/26. More details and ticket links are below, but first, some other news:

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Jen

PS -- Here’s that James Brown record.


Upcoming Shows
Saturday, January 11th * 6-9 pm
A Benefit House Concert for PS9 Brooklyn
near Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn NY * 347-432-0283
$70 couple/$40 individual
Includes dinner, drinks, music and world-class music for a local cause!
also featuring Pyeng Threadgill

Friday, January 17th 2014 * 8 pm
The Cutting Room
44 East 32nd Street, NYC * 212-691-1900
$15 advance, $20 at the door * tickets on sale here
Full band show!

Saturday, January 18th * 8:30 pm
Old Ship Coffee House
107 Main Street, Hingham MA 02043 * $12

Sunday, January 19th * 6 pm
"Acoustic on the Balcony"
Stafford Palace Theater
75 Main Street, Stafford Springs CT * 860-851-9780
$11.50 * tickets on sale here

Sunday, January 26th * 4 pm
Turning Point Café
468 Piermont Avenue, Piermont NY 10968
$20 * tickets available here


Reckoning Videos
“Reckoning” by Nathan James Leatherman

“Go Away” by Nathan James Leatherman

“Feed Your Baby” by Maria EugĂȘnia with Nick Matias

Jen Chapin’s Reckoning (Pledge Music video) by Kate Chumley

The Making of Insatiable by Rich Sullivan





No comments: