Friday, October 10, 2008

Interview w/ New Media Pioneer: Steve Springall of Cybster TV

New Media Pioneer: Steve Springall of Cybster TV

http://www.cybster.dj
http://www.rockoutloud.com
http://www.myspace.com/cybsterdj

CYBSTER TV is an Internet TV show presenting Independent artists and bands in a format similar to MTV, Rage and Video Hits. We are always on the lookout for great content and would like to invite the artists you represent to contribute their professionally produced music videos to be on the show.

Q: How long have you been broadcasting and doing the Cybster DJ video channel?

A: I discovered podcasting in mid 2005 and saw it as an opportunity to play music to more people than those in a venue. It also meant I could enjoy playing music that I liked without having to be booked for a real life event. CYBSTER TV began 2 years ago once I was able to source quality music videos from independent bands and artists.

Q: In your opinion, what does a good song need to consist of?

A: To me the most important thing a song needs is a good melody and persistent beat. Without these things a song is merely a poem.

Q: What is your favorite band or favorite genre of music and why?

A: My all time favorite band is AC/DC. Other favorites include David Bowie, INXS, MC Hammer and Michael Jackson... (I taught him the Moonwalk... haha). So whilst I obviously enjoy Pop and hard rock, my favorites Genre is electronica... house and trance especially... it just connects with my soul.

Q: What changes in content laws, broadcasting rights, etc. have affected you most?

A: I have only been able to use material that I have express permission to use. I obtain this directly from the artists, or from networks such at the Podsafe Music Network, Ariel Cyber PR, PromoNET and GarageBand. Licencing in Australia is very strict and too expensive to use mainstream music in my shows. I don't mind anyway, it's a thrill to help independent artists get exposure around the world; we help each other.

Q: A recent study found blogs to be more effective than MySpace in generating album sales, do you feel podcasts have the same power?

A: Definitely, most podcasts have a show notes page for each show with direct purchase links to the artists website or iTunes. It makes it real easy for those who enjoyed the song to get a copy quickly. I've used this myself plenty of times. I'm so lazy I like it when things are made easy for me. :)




To find more interviews and New Media tips for musicians please visit: www.arielpublicity.net/blog






For music, pix, video, and more info, go here

No comments: